DNV South America is seeking a Senior Surveyor to join our team in Brazil as part of our Business Area Maritime Region Americas .
The candidate will be permanently allocated in the North of the State of Rio de Janeiro (“Norte Fluminense”) since one of the main tasks is to attend vessels at “Porto do Açu”. This is a port in operation since 2014 focused on sustainable growth and considered the largest private deep-water port and industrial complex in Latin America. The candidate shall be able to live at a distance of not more than 1 hour driving from “Porto do Açu”, in locations in the municipalities of Campos dos Goytacazes or São João da Barra.
As a fleet in service Surveyor you will be member of a highly qualified team serving the maritime industry and various ship types (as OSVs, Oil Tankers, Bulk Carriers and Containers) calling at ports in the Brazilian coast.
- Attend vessels for survey mainly, but not restrict to, at Porto do Açu, located in São João da Barra, RJ, Brazil
- Ensure that the work or duties performed are in accordance with the Rules, Regulations, Instructions, Guidelines and quality requirements of the organization and the instructions of the line management
- Work on-site surveys during dry-docking and in service
- Work on major vessel conversions, alterations or any technical matters involving all type of vessels
- Support other class activities when necessary
- Maintain the confidentiality of Clients’ business, processes, designs, developments and documentation at all times
- When applicable, to supervise the work of others and ensure that it is carried out as above and in an efficient and economic manner
- Communicate to line management at the earliest appropriate opportunity if in receipt of information that is important to the reputation or integrity of the organization
- Exhibit customer oriented focus through promoting DNV, acting as technical support for customers and ensuring solutions provided take customer needs into consideration
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture or Mechanical Engineering with previous experience in Maritime Engineering or Master Mariner
- At least 5 years of experience in the Marine industry as surveyor
- ISM/ISPS/MLC auditor formal qualification is an advantage
- Understanding of class & statutory survey work and responsibilities is an advantage
- Registration at Brazilian Engineering Council (CREA) is mandatory
- Portuguese and English Speaking/Writing proficiency is mandatory
- Strong customer service orientation and understanding of client needs
- Physical abilities necessary to perform regular functions of the job such as Working at Heights and in Confined Spaces
- Hold a valid driver’s license
- Be available to live at a distance of not more than 1 hour driving from “Porto do Açu” in São João da Barra, RJ
- Be available for travel, outside “Norte Fluminense” up to 30% of the time in a year
- Availability to work outside normal working hours, if the job requires
- Be open to internal transfers (national and international)
- Support DNV processes on the way of transformation in a new digital and decarbonized world
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and in writing
- A team player with a positive attitude and willingness to collaborate across groups and other offices for shared goals and aims
- Be able to work independently
- Eager to learn and develop
Company & Business Area Description
DNV is the independent expert in risk management and assurance, with almost 12,000 employees operating in more than 100 countries. Through our broad experience and deep expertise we advance safety and sustainable performance, set industry benchmarks, and inspire and invent solutions.
We are the world’s leading classification society and a recognized advisor for the maritime industry. We enhance safety, quality, energy efficiency and environmental performance of the global shipping industry – across all vessel types and offshore structures. We invest heavily in research and development to find solutions, together with the industry, that address strategic, operational or regulatory challenges.
Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!